I N G R E D I E N T S
2 Danny's Pitas
1kg fresh greens*
½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
½ bunch fresh dill, chopped
1 handful fresh chervil, chopped
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup crumbed feta cheese
½ cup milk, or more
½ cup butter (optional), melted
*suggested greens are - spinach, dandelions, chicory, endive or any other fresh greens
C O O K I N G S T E P S
- Wash the spinach, trim coarse ends, drain, chop, sprinkle with salt** and squeeze until all liquid has been drained.
- Combine the spinach in a large bowl with the parsley, dill, and chervil and mix thoroughly.
- Allow the greens to stand while heating the ¼ cup butter in frying pan, then add the spring onions to the butter and saute them until the white parts are translucent.
- Continue to cook over a medium heat, add the greens, the spices, sugar and enough salt and pepper for seasoning, be careful to allow for additional salt in the feta which will be added later.
- Partially cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed, then remove it from the heat and cool the mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, feta and enough milk to saturate the greens.
- Mix and assemble the Danny's pita as follows: Spread the filling over the Danny's pita bread which has been split into two halves. Bake in a moderate oven 180°C (350°F) then allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.
** you may eliminate salting the spinach by panning it, cooking over very low heat until the leaves wilt and then draining it thoroughly.